What is Homeowners Insurance?
Homeowners insurance provides financial protection against disasters. A standard policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it.
Homeowners insurance is a package policy. This means that it covers both damage to your property and your liability or legal responsibility for any injuries and property damage you or members of your family cause to other people. This includes damage caused by household pets.
Damage caused by most disasters is covered but there are exceptions. The most significant are damage caused by floods, earthquakes and poor maintenance. You must buy two separate policies for flood and earthquake coverage. Maintenance-related problems are the homeowners' responsibility.
Why do you need homeowners insurance?
To protect yourself financially if something unexpected happens to your home or possessions, such as:
- Destruction or damage from fire or natural disaster
- Injury to guest(s) in your home
- Theft or vandalism to your home
- It is also important for compliance with your lender's mortgage requirement
It is important to know that homeowners insurance is meant to cover unexpected damage, not routine maintenance.
Insurance Tips: Ask your agent to talk about what is covered and be sure to read your policy so you know exactly what's included and what is not.
It is best to consult your agent to help assess your needs and find the insurance policy that is right for you, because everyone's needs are not the same.
Things to consider
Here are few things to discuss with your agent that will influence your decisions.
- How much will it cost to rebuild my house and replace my belongings if they are damaged or destroyed? (Ask your agent to talk you through your home's features and the things you own so you can make an informed decision about coverage.)
- Does the insurance company have a good reputation for customer service? Is it known for paying claims fairly and promptly?
- What discounts are available? (Ask about multiple policy, security system and fire resistance discounts.)
- What's the process for filing and settling a claim? (Ask who to call and what happens after you file a claim.)
Get started today!
Our staff has been serving the Missouri, Kansas and Illinois markets for years and can tailor a homeowners policy to your specifications. Call us today at 636.391.0700, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or click here to get started on a free quote.